Monday, December 12, 2011

And it begins…

Before we left on our Thanksgiving trip to Iowa, Tessa and I took a little trip to a local store to do some shopping. I need to preface the story by saying that Tessa watches some videos (Signing Time and Baby Einstein) but not actual TV shows. As we perused the aisles, I heard Tessa shouting “Elmo, Elmo, Elmo!” and saw her darting away. Sitting on the floor around the corner was a lovely red Elmo chair that she sprinted to, pointed at, and again exclaimed, “Elmo, Elmo!” Astonished by my daughter’s love for a furry red Sesame Street character that I have not encountered since my own childhood, I had to ask myself where she could have possibly picked that up. A text message later confirmed that the children of Tessa’s babysitter have a few Elmo dolls that they play with but no, they do not watch the show.

My conclusion…the people of Sesame Street are geniuses. They have one of their characters already branded in a 17 month-old girl’s head without even using their programming, and saying a character’s name when she can’t say a lot of other things. Can you tell I work in marketing=)?

I’d been trying to capture her saying it for a while in this video, so the excited has worn off. You get the picture though.

No comments:

Post a Comment