Sunday, January 22, 2012

18 Month Report Card

 

Tessa had her 18 month check up over a week ago.  As in the past, she hated it.  She cried as soon as the doctor came in and had a fit throughout the appointment.  She didn’t cry much for her shots, but cried a lot when they put a band-aid on, took it off, and then cried again when I tried to put it back on.  Apparently band-aids hurt worse than shots…silly child.

The doctor confirmed what we already knew.  Tessa is big.  She seems healthy, but is in the higher percentile in every category:

weight: 29 lbs  - 95%

length : 32 3/4 inches – 88 percentile

head circumference: 19 1/8 inches – 95%

For some reason, the doctor was especially interested in her head size.  He measured it again after the nurse measured it (the measurements that the nurse put down are listed above, it was bigger when he measured it).  He then measured my head to see what percentile I was (pretty normal, maybe a little bigger than average), then asked me to go home and measure Tommy’s head to see what percentile he was in (I haven’t done that yet, but I’m guessing his bigger than normal too).  I asked if I should be worried and he said no, it’s probably hereditary (I blame Tommy), but just wanted to watch it. 

All in all, it was an interesting appointment but we are thankful for a healthy child (I want to write baby, but she’s really not a baby anymore!).

photo

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel better, Alan and Nathan's (her second cousins) head circumferences were 20 inches at 15 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you blame Tommy! Based on what my sister said, it must be a Van Hofwegen gene, haha.

    ReplyDelete