Monday, December 3, 2012

A Little Life Lesson at the Grocery Store

Tessa is not what I would describe as a quiet child.  It fact, there are many times when she will talk for 30 or so minutes straight…not even joking.  Mommy, I’m doing this.  Mommy, I’m doing that. And if you don’t respond, she’ll just keep saying whatever she wants you to know over and over and over and over until you respond.  It can be pretty cute, but it can also be pretty loud and overwhelming. 

A couple weeks ago, I took Tessa to the grocery store and she was, of course, talking continuously.  I was getting annoyed because she was so loud and she was commenting about the other shoppers, Mommy, that’s a man.  Mommy, what’s he got? and so on and so. I was starting to get kind of embarrassed and she was starting to talk in a more sing-song voice when an older lady came up and started talking to us, saying she was such a beautiful singer.  We small talked for a little bit and then she asked Tessa to sing a song for her.  Tessa giggled at her and smiled so the lady started to list songs, and said something about a Santa song.  I said, no she doesn’t know Santa songs because we don’t do Santa with her.  The lady went to continue her shopping and as she started walking away, Tessa started singing “Jesus Loves Me.”  It was not only adorable, but it also dawned on me that, here I was embarrassed by her loudness and myself quiet on an occasion when I should be talking about the real meaning of Christmas, and she’s singing Jesus Loves Me to complete strangers.

Got it, God!  Thanks for the message!

1 comment: